Your mom’s forgetfulness is starting to worry you; Dad’s just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s; or, you’ve just moved closer to your ailing relative to take on the role of caregiver. Any of these scenarios will have you reaching for your laptop, searching for advice and answers. There are dozens of bloggers out there sharing tips, resources, and sometimes just a good laugh when you need it! Here are some of the ones we like best:
- For the clearest and most up-to-date resource, head to About Alzheimer’s. Curated by social worker Esther Heerema, this blog offers an easy-to-navigate spectrum of information on Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia, like Lewy Body and Parkinson’s. http://alzheimers.about.com/
- The Alzheimer’s Association blog is a must-see for anyone dealing with any stage of dementia. Not only is the blog itself highly informative, but it’s also linked to the Alzheimer’s Association website, which hosts an even broader range of links and information. https://blog.alz.org/
- Caregiving With a Purpose is a wonderful and encouraging resource for all caregivers, whether just starting out or years into the journey. Host Dr. Ina Gilmore’s motto is “thriving, not surviving” and her mission is to nurture and support caregivers at every step along the way. Features include articles on long-distance caregiving, crafts for caregivers and their loved ones, and financial advice, as well as links to helpful podcasts. https://caregivingwithpurpose.com/category/alzheimers/
- If you’re more of a visual learner, check out Alzheimer’s Weekly. Blog editor P. Berger features lots of helpful tips in video form, as well as some powerful short videos on dementia from all perspectives. https://www.alzheimersweekly.com
- Better caregiving comes through empathy; that’s the intent behind the Early Dementia Support blog, written by dementia sufferer Howard Glick. Diagnosed with early dementia at age 45, Glick shares his personal journey with humor and sensitivity, and is determined to give this disease a hopeful spin. https://earlydementiasupport.blogspot.com/
- Gen-X caregivers will find a voice in Joy Walker’s Cleaning House Book blog, an off-shoot of her website, Joy in Caregiving. A writer and hospice worker, Joy moved in with her father ten years ago when he could no longer care for himself. She’s been blogging ever since, and has built up a hugely-popular and award-winning site that offers much insight and information, from a youthful perspective.