No matter their circumstances, most seniors at some point grapple with the decision to age-in-place or relocate to a senior community; maybe you or a parent are one of them! The choice might be precipitated by financial circumstances, health issues, or other factors. Regardless, it’s one to be thought through carefully and honestly. Here’s a walk-through of some of the most important aspects for you or your parent to consider:
Nearly everything about owning and maintaining a home costs money. If Mom is on a fixed income, it’s time to ask:
- Is she able to afford necessary repairs?
- Are rising property tax bills becoming an issue?
- Is Mom’s home safe in all seasons – with walkways shoveled, proper stair railings, and sufficient insulation?
- Are local property values rising with the cost of living, or is Mom’s potential cash-out value decreasing with local market trends?
Roughly 80% of older Americans are dealing with a chronic health condition, and over 85% are on two or more prescription medications. It’s therefore likely Mom’s got some health concerns of her own. Ask:
- Is she able to navigate her home safely, without balance issues or falls?
- Is Mom taking all prescription medications safely and on the right schedule?
- Is she able to get to all necessary medical appointments?
- Does she have access to proper nutrition, and eating healthy meals each day?
- Is she showing signs of cognitive difficulty – i.e. getting lost in familiar places, not being able to follow basic instructions, getting lost in general conversation?
Quality of Life
- Is Mom still seeing people regularly – from her neighborhood, church, or senior center?
- Is she able to maintain her appearance, keeping up with hair appointments, laundry, personal hygiene?
- Is she still willing and able to cook for herself?
- Open the refrigerator. Is it tidy and uncluttered, free of old or expired food?
Honest answers to these types of questions should help paint a clear picture of what choice makes the most sense for you or your parent. For more helpful information on the topic, download our Senior Living Solutions Guide.