Getting older has its perks! Believe it or not, “senior” discounts are available for those as young as fifty years old.
Before starting to look into available deals, consider joining AARP. All people fifty years and older are eligible to join, and membership comes with lots of exclusive discounts and specials; better yet, dues are just $16 per year. Without an AARP membership, you may be missing out on some awesome deals.
An estimated 70 percent of people over age 65 will require some form of long-term care services during their lives.Will you, or your loved one, be a part of those who make use of the benefits that care and senior living provides? Planning financially for every eventuality becomes the key to quality of life in your, or your loved one’s, senior years. Dive into our Complete Guide To Senior Living Funding for information on funding types and sources, changes to aid and benefits and ways to truly compare the costs of senior living to staying at home. Meet the future ready! Download your copy today →
These days, many stores are offering “senior” discounts well before the age of 65.
Here are some of our favorites categorized by age:
Age 50 and Up
- Kmart offers up to 20% off of prescriptions with their GoldK program.
- Most Banana Republic locations offer a 10% discount. Check with your local store.
- AARP members save 10% on food and drink at McCormick and Schmick’s.
- The Hertz Fifty Plus Program will get you up to 20% off of base rates and can be combined with other promotions and deals.
Age 55 and Up
- Royal Caribbean offers reduced prices for seniors 55+ on selected sailings. Other cruise lines offer senior discounts as well, be sure to check before booking.
- Crafty seniors get 10% off at Michael’s every day, just be sure to bring along your ID.
- Enroll in the Balance Rewards program at Walgreens and enjoy discounts on various items on select Seniors Days. Check their website monthly to stay up to date.
Age 60 and Up
- Head on over to your local Kohl’s on Wednesdays to get 15% off if you’re over the age of 60.
- If you’re 62 or older, all IHG brand hotels, including the Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza, offer senior travel rates all over the world.
- All Showcase Cinema locations feature Senior Wednesdays; seniors over 60 can take advantage of reduced prices on tickets, popcorn, and fountain beverages.
- Enjoy 10% off at participating Ben and Jerry’s ice cream stores.
Age 65 and Up
- United Airlines offers senior fares to those 65+. If booking with a representative, be sure to ask! For online bookings, choose the “age 65 and older” category.
- Save 10% with Amtrak on most fares for trips within America or to Canada.
- All AARP members can save 10% on monthly service charges of qualifying AT&T wireless plans. Seniors over age 65 can take advantage of the AT&T Senior Nation plan for only $29.99 per month.
These are just a sampling of the many great discounts available to the older crowd. Wherever you shop or dine, always ask if they offer a senior discount. Many places do so without advertising it, and age eligibility varies from store to store. For more discount ideas, check out The Senior List or Deal News.